We are nearing the end of the typical season in Naples Florida, and here is a list of suggestions for closing up your home in the summer months to ensure your home is exactly as it was when you headed north.
1. Have someone visit your home once a month to make sure there are no issues that need to be addressed.
2. A regular monthly check by either a neighbor or a professional will also ensure that appliances are still working, mainly the air conditioner. If the A/C unit were to fail, there would be mold everywhere, including the walls and the furniture. Along with that, you might want to install a humidistat. They are great for regulating moisture control in the home.
3. Turn the water off. This will ensure that nothing can leak and cause serious damage.
4. Unplug your computer and other appliances in the kitchen. This will prevent anything from getting fried should the power go out.
5. Turn all of the breakers off except for the refrigerator and the A/C unit.
6. Turn off the ice maker and empty the tray.
7. Set a couple of lights on timers so that it doesn’t always look like a vacant home (these breakers would need to stay in the ‘on’ position).
8. Stop service for your local newspaper.
9. Have your mail forwarded to your summer address.
10. Install shutters on windows and lanais. If you don’t have shutters, move all patio furniture into the house in case there is a storm. You wouldn’t want the furniture to get damaged, or worse, damage your house or your neighbors.
Have a safe trip north and we’ll see you next season!
Intereseted in current Naples properties?