The first official day of fall is this Friday, September 22, 2017. Now is a good time to get your condo or townhome ready for fall and winter. Here are a couple of tips to make sure you are ready.
- Check windows for drafts of air. A good tool is a lighter or candle; if the flame moves, more than likely you have a draft. Use caulk or weather stripping to seal drafts.
- Put a rug or doormat just inside of your home. Wood floors, laminate flooring, and concrete floors are pretty popular here in North Texas so to prevent slipping and falling add a rug to wipe your feet.
- Make sure you change your ceiling fans turn in a clockwise motion. This takes the warm air from the ceiling and pushes it down, slightly cutting cost on your heating bill.
- Service your heating system. Have a certified HVAC technician come and take a look at your furnace and do any necessary maintenance. If you have a home warranty, check with them first to see if they cover this service.
- Test your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors or, to be safe, go ahead and change the batteries to have peace of mind.